Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Facebook or Face-to-Face. It's About the Community.

"Desperately Seeking Kohlrabi" was the Facebook post. Not much of a reply. For days, repeatedly asked my local foodies, "Know anyone growing kohlrabi? We're pickling it in next week's "Road Trip" Class." "Not sure," was the reply, followed by "...but did you try [this person] or [that one]? I think they were talking about it."

Fast forward to a Saturday morning post-yoga stop at Eastern Market, a conversation with John and Karen from Lime Valley Mill Farm who referred me to a new farm down the line, Susquehanna Permaculture. Jackpot! They had considered harvesting that morning but wanted to give the globes one more week in the earth. They could surely pick 5 or so for our needs. Pick-up details loosely arranged and phone numbers exchanged. Success.

Throughout the weekend, I received follow-up emails from the handful of people I'd asked earlier in the week. Most had received Susquehanna Permaculture's wholesale list and read about the upcoming kohlrabi ... and took the time to pass the word along to me.

Not only was I appreciative of the guidance and support, but also tickled by the reminder of what this is all ultimately about. Sourcing food locally gives us a shared purpose, brings us out of the fringes, and provides a common platform we all can build upon. That includes you, it includes me and itsa all about Essen.

No comments:

Post a Comment